Nepal Chemistry Olympiad
Who we are
STEM Foundation Nepal is national organizer for NeChO
How to apply
Please visit STEM office or apply online
International Chemistry Olympiad (IChO)
The International Chemistry Olympiad (IChO) is an annual competition for the world’s most talented chemistry students at the secondary school level. Nations around the world send a team of four students who are tested on their chemistry knowledge and skills in a five-hour laboratory practical exam and a five-hour written theoretical examination that are held on separate days with the practical examination usually being before the theoretical examination.
The idea of the International Chemistry Olympiad was developed in the former Czechoslovakia in 1968 and the first International Chemistry Olympiad took place in Prague between 18th and 21st June 1968. The event has been held every year since then, with the exception of 1971. The delegations that attended the first events were mostly countries of the former Eastern bloc and it was not until 1980, the 12th annual International Chemistry Olympiad, that the event was held outside of the bloc in Austria.
Nepal Chemistry Olympiad (NeChO)
NeChO is the national event to select the bright higher secondary school (+2) students from chemistry background who are tested on their chemistry knowledge and skills in a written theoretical examinations and practical exam. The outstanding four (4) selected most brilliant NeChO finalists will be getting the opportunity to attend in the prestigious 52nd International Chemistry Olympiad.
- Thermodynamics: relation between equilibrium constants and standard reaction Gibbs free
energy, relation between thermodynamic and electrochemical data.
- Kinetics: orders of reaction, half-life, rates defined as time derivatives of concentrations,
use of integrated rate laws, classic approximations.
- Basic quantum chemistry: notion of wavefunction, expression of simple molecular orbitals,
electronic energy levels, crystal field theory.
- Spectroscopy: simple IR spectroscopy (identification of chemical groups only), 1H NMR
spectroscopy (chemical shifts, integrals, couplings and multiplicity).
- Polymers: block copolymers, polymerization, polydispersity, simple size exclusion
- Stereochemistry: stereoisomers in organic and inorganic chemistry, stereoselectivity in
- Techniques in organic synthesis (drying of a precipitate, recrystallization, TLC).
- Use of a spectrophotometer (mono-wavelength measurements).
Nepal Chemistry Olympiad 2020
Registration Deadline: February 18, 2020
Exam Date: February 20, 2020
International Chemistry Olympiad 2020
Date: 6-15 July 2020 (Ashad 22-31, 2077)
Venue: Istanbul, Turkey
Registration Fees: Rs. 500 per student
STEM Account Details:
Bank : NIC Asia Bank Ltd
A/C Name : STEM Foundation Nepal
A/C Number: 5441050585152401
Aims of the competition
The Nepal Chemistry Olympiad (NeChO) is a chemistry competition for students at secondary school level with the aim of promoting national and international contacts in chemistry. It is intended to stimulate the activities of students interested in chemistry by way of the independent and creative solution of chemical problems. The NeChO competitions help to facilitate cordial relations between young adults of different nationalities; they encourage cooperation and international understanding.
- The competitors must be Nepali Citizen.
- The competitors must be under the 20 years of age on the 1st of July of the year of the competition.
- The competitors must not be university students. They can only be students of secondary schools.
- The competitors must be passport holders of the country they represent.
Note: The outstanding four (4) selected most brilliant NeChO finalists will be getting the opportunity to attend in the prestigious 52nd International Chemistry Olympiad which is going to be held in Istanbul, Turkey from 6th -15th July, 2020.