Nepal Junior Science Olympiad
Who we are
STEM Foundation Nepal is the National Organizer for IJSO.
How to apply
NJSO 2020 will be held online. Please apply and fill online form.
Please pay registration fee through fonepay.
International Junior Science Olympiad (IJSO)
The International Junior Science Olympiad (IJSO) is an annual individual and team competition in the Natural Sciences for the students who are under Sixteen years old on 31st December of the competition year. IJSO has been established in recognition of the significance of Natural Sciences in the general education of the young people and in all aspects of their lives. It is a purely educational event.
ABOUT IJSO 2020 Germany
The 17th International Junior Science Olympiad was supposed to take place in Frankfurt, Germany from the 3rd to the 12th of December 2020 originally and now has shifted to June 2021. It is organized by IPN and the Ministry of Education Germany in collaboration with other partners. More than 300 bright students aged 15 years and younger, from over 50 countries around the world, will meet during the Science Olympiad to test their knowledge and skills in Physics, Biology and Chemistry.
The competition includes two individual theoretical tests followed by a practical test. These tests should be the result of a team effort of all involved students. The aim of this science competition is to introduce students, at a young age, to an international network of alpha enthusiasts. Besides, the competition promotes and rewards the pursuit of excellence in scientific endeavor and stimulates gifted students to further develop their talents in Natural Sciences.
IJSO 2020 is cancelled due to covid-19 pandemic and the International Organizers are working for IJSO 2021, UAE.
Nepal has bagged 1 Bronze medal in IJSO 2019, Qatar in it’s first participation by Mr. Nitesh Gautam from Moonlight English Model School, Morang.
Nepal Junior Science Olympiad
Jointly organized by STEM Foundation Nepal and Science Teachers’ Association Nepal (STAN), Nepal Junior Science Olympiad is a national talent hunt event of the young science enthusiasts aged 16 or below, who are studying in the secondary school till grade 12. Any Nepali students from all parts of the country can participate in this national screening event. The winners from various levels, starting from district level Olympiad, upgrade to next level and the top 6 finalists participate in the global competition, IJSO in the following year.
Nepal Junior Science Olympiad 2020
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic effect the first level Nepal Junior Science Olympiad 2020 is going to be hosted online for a single time. District level Olympiads are cancelled for 2020. Various level of trainings and competitions will be held online this year except the practical exams.
NJSO is organized in following various steps (REGULAR):
- District Level Olympiad
- Regional Level Olympiad
- National Level Olympiad
- Practical Tests
- Selection of the 6 finalists who will get opportunity to represent Nepal in the prestigious IJSO forum
NJSO 2020 will be organized in following various steps (2020 SPECIAL):
- Olympiad Excellence Program (closed ZOOM session for 10 days, 1hr/Day)
- NJSO 2020 Level – I
- Olympiad Excellence Program- Advanced
- NJSO 2020 Level- II, III, IV, Finals
- NJSO 2020 Award Ceremony
Most of the questions for the screening level competition is based on the high school level science, math books till grade 10 based on Nepalese curriculum; and also will be added some questions from the IJSO syllabus. Full syllabus will be provided to the participants after registration is made. All higher levels questions will be based on IJSO Syllabus, strictly following the regulations made by IJSO steering committee. The selected national finalist’s students will be fully trained for the international finals both on theories and practical and also will get opportunity for the international pre-Olympiad contest.
- Multiple Choices Questions examination.
- Theoretical examination.
- Practical examination.
Nepal Junior Science Olympiad (NJSO) 2020
Registration Deadline: August 05, 2020 Wednesday
Exam Date: August 08, 2020 Saturday (10:00 am)
Registration Fees: Rs. 500 per student
STEM Account Details:
Bank : NIC Asia Bank Ltd
A/C Name : STEM Foundation Nepal
A/C Number: 5441050585152401
The guidelines on the participation in the International Junior Science Olympiad are set to ensure a fair and enjoyable competition. All contenders in the International Junior Science Olympiad shall swear an oath at the beginning of the competition to answer the theoretical and practical competition questions in the most responsible way and to compete with due honesty and fair spirit. The set of rules and guidelines listed here applies to all participants.
- Competitors must be born on or after 1 January 2005, i.e. they must not be older than 16 years old.
- A student is eligible to represent his/her country if he/she holds a valid passport of that country for at least one academic year.
- Participants must agree with and accept the conditions as stated in the statutes from IJSO.
- A standard team shall consist of six students and three leaders. In the event a standard team cannot be fulfilled, a minimum team of three students and one leader is allowed to participate in IJSO. Team consisting of less than three members shall NOT qualify or be entitled to receive the awards.
- Participants are NOT allowed to use their own collection of formulae from Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, etc. during the competition.
- Participants will be responsible for the all travel costs during the IJSO finals; organizer will approach and help students to approach to the sponsors.
- Registration fees for the basic level; NJSO 2020 Level -I is NRs. 500/- and the registration is valid only after the payment is made.